Monday, June 18, 2012

Old School Ways- 2.0 twist

Teacher Pal app image from google
End of the school year is here and I think how different things are since I started teaching 12 years ago. When I first started I was calculating my grades by hand with an old school gradebook and a calculator. Now I input my grades into a computer and it does the calculating for me. One might think that is the end of the process and we just click submit but that is not the case. We now have to check to make sure the weighting is accurate, we have input everything accurately like comment codes and assignment grades. I am always checking and rechecking. I have even moved away from the stereotypical gradebook and found an app that allowed me to input daily behavior and homework assignments, have a seating chart, do my attendance, and email parents all from the iPad. I have seen some really great positives with this but it is a shift in mindset and something that once you get out of the routine it is hard to get back to. The app is called Teacher Pal and can be found in the app store. I would give it a look. There are also easy graders that allow you to calculate what percentage scores would be based on how many questions you have. Some tech can help and make things easier but I say always have a back up and now how to do it old school.

3 comments:

  1. Georgeann,
    I just got an iPad to try this summer and use next year. This app sounds great. It's always such a pleasure to find good app suggestions from others as if I go to the app store, I'm just overwhelmed!
    Thanks, great find!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my co-workers uses that app with his Ipad, he loves it!! I don't have an ipad but I have an iphone I wonder if I could use it with my phone?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in trying this on my iPhone. Thanks for the information about a great and helpful app!

    ReplyDelete